The greatest defence against gum disease is a good oral routine and the right products to prevent and treat gum disease. Sounds simple? Yet 54% of adults in the UK already have gum disease1, and three out of four people are likely to experience gum disease in their lifetime. Gum disease is the leading cause of tooth loss in adults, so preventing problems now is key.
Did you know that bacteria are the main cause of oral health troubles including tooth decay and gum disease?
What is gum disease?
Gum disease is an inflammation of the gums. It is caused by the bacteria in plaque, a sticky, colorless film that constantly forms on your teeth. If not removed, plaque can build up and the bacteria infect not only your gums and teeth, but even the gum tissue and bone that support the teeth. This can cause your teeth to become loose, fall out or have to be removed by a dentist.
Healthy Gums- Healthy gums are firm and don’t bleed. They fit snugly around the teeth.
Gingivitis – Gums are mildly inflamed, may appear red or swollen and may bleed during brushing
Periodontitis – Gums begin to separate and recede from the teeth. This allows plaque to move toward the roots, supporting fibres and bone.
What are common symptoms of gum disease?
- Gums that are red, puffy or swollen, or tender
- Gums that bleed during brushing or flossing
- Teeth that look longer because your gums have receded
- Gums that have separated, or pulled away, from your teeth, creating a pocket
- Changes in the way your teeth fit together when you bite
- Pus coming from between your teeth and gums
- Constant bad breath or a bad taste in your mouth